DETAILS of its programme of important repairs on waterways across the West Midlands this winter have been announced by Canal & River Trust.
The trust is investing around £2.4 million over the coming months replacing 41 hand-crafted lock gates and carrying out repairs to historic waterway structures.
The works were due to start this month (November) and continue until next March.
The programme includes:
- An extensive programme of works along the Staffordshire & Worcestershire Canal, including new bottom gates at Locks 1 and 2 on the canal at Stourport on Severn, grouting to stop leaks at lock number 30 at Wightwick Mill and repairs to the wall at Lock 37 in Penkridge.
- Repairs to stop leaks at Lock 1 and 2 along the Caldon Canal as well as new gates at lock number 12.
- Brickwork repairs, lock ladder works and lock gate repairs and replacement along the Dudley No 1 Canal at lock numbers 2 and 8.
- Rebuilding of a weir along the Coventry Canal.
- Repairs to the bed of the canal near Adderley Lock on the Shropshire Union Canal as well as new gates at locks number 2 to 4.