THE winners of Canal & River Trust’s 2017 Living Waterways Awards, were announced at a gala ceremony in Birmingham last week.
Sponsored by Kier, Arcadis, CPC Civils, Land & Water, Vinci and Fountains, the awards recognise the most exciting and inspiring waterway-based improvement projects across the UK.
A rigorous assessment process saw the expert judges travel across the country from Devon to Falkirk and from London to Leeds before selecting the finalists for the 2017 Living Waterways Awards.
- ART & INTERPRETATION – Winner: Oxford Canal Murals Project, Oxford (Waterways Management Company, Oxford).
- COMMUNITY & VOLUNTEERING – Winner: Eldonian Village Canal Festival, Liverpool (Inland Waterways Association); Runner-up: Taking it Tees’y, Stockton on Tees (Canal & River Trust);
Commended: Compasses Bridge, Surrey (Wey & Arun Canal Trust).
- CONTRIBUTION TO THE BUILT ENVIRONMENT – Winner: Elland Road Bridge, Halifax (Arcadis); Runner-up: Marsworth Wharf, Aylesbury (Stride Treglown); Commended: Merchant’s Quay, Gloucester (Stride Treglown).
- EDUCATION & LEARNING – Winner: Hirst Lock Bicentenary, Shipley, West Yorkshire (Hirst Wood Regeneration Group); Runner-up: Canal Officer for Cultural Heritage, Scotland (Scottish Waterways Trust); Commended: Salendine Duke of Edinburgh Adoption, Huddersfield (Canal & River Trust).
- NATURAL ENVIRONMENT – Winner: Firs Farm Wetlands, Enfield (London Borough of Enfield); Runner-up: Green Park, Reading (Mapletree); Commended: Living Heritage of the River Don, South Yorkshire (Don Catchment Rivers Trust).
- RECREATION & TOURISM – Winner: Leeds & Liverpool Bicentenary, Yorkshire (Canal & River Trust); Runner-up: Audlem Lass Boat Service, Audlem, Shropshire.
- RESTORATION & HISTORIC ENVIRONMENT – Winner: – Window on the World, Ellesmere Port (National Waterways Museum, Ellesmere Port); Runner-up: Mon & Brec Lime Kilns Trail, Brecon to Goytre (Canal & River Trust); Commended: Historic Lake in Baylis Park, Slough (Amey Plc); Commended: Stover Canal Graving Dock Lock Restoration, Newton Abbott (Stover Canal Trust).
- OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT AWARD – John Dodwell
Further details of the 2017 Living Waterways Awards can be found at https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/living-waterways-awards-2017