PEOPLE of the north west are urged to get out and have fun by the water this summer at special days of activities hosted by Canal & River Trust.
The summer roadshow events – from Manchester to Kendal and Liverpool to Chorley – will give visitors the chance to get to know their local canal, have a go at activities like canoeing and fishing and meet the people and wildlife that call it home.
Staff and volunteers from CRT will be revealing how being by water can make people feel happier and healthier, and encouraging locals to help care for their local waterway by volunteering for tasks such as painting lock gates, repairing towpaths and planting flowers.
Dates and locations of the summer roadshows are:
- Saturday, July 21 – Kendal Sports Centre
- Sunday, July 22 – Lune Aqueduct
- Monday, July 23 – Glasson Dock
- Tuesday, July 24 – Guy’s Thatched Hamlet, Bilsborrow
- Friday, July 27 – Burscough Wharf
- Saturday, July 28 and Sunday 29 – Albert Dock, Liverpool
- Monday, July 30 – Trencherfield Mill, Wigan
- Thursday, August 2 – Botany Bay, Chorley
- Friday, August 3 – Mill Hill, Blackburn
- Saturday, August 4 – Vanguard Centre, Burnley
- Sunday, August 5 – Cargo Café, Foulridge
- Wednesday, August 8 – Maltings Lane, Rochdale
- Thursday, August 9 – Portlands Basin Museum, Ashton-under-Lyne
- Friday, August 10 and Saturday 11 – Canal Street, Manchester
Tony Entwistle, CRT development engagement manager, said: “We look forward to welcoming everyone on the day and showing them just what their local canal has to offer.”
For more details on the summer roadshows visit: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/events