DUE to the low rainfall which has resulted in the drawdown of the reservoirs, and with the forecast set for dry weather, the Canal & River Trust will be implementing temporary restrictions to navigation between Barrowford Locks (45 to 51) and Gargrave (from below lock 30) with effect from Monday April 29.
- Barrowford Locks – Open at 8am, closed at 5pm, last entry 4pm
- Greenberfield Locks – Open at 8am, closed at 6pm, last entry 5pm
- Bank Newton Locks – Open at 8am, closed at 6pm, last entry 5pm
- Gargrave Locks – Open at 8am, closed at 6pm, last entry 5pm.
It’s not clear how long the restrictions will be in place, however if there is no significant, sustained rainfall it is likely further restrictions will be implemented. While the restrictions will restrict the use of the canal by boats, the towpath will remain open for visitors and the local community alike to enjoy.
In the meantime, boaters can help conserve water by:
- Sharing locks where possible and making the best use of the water available.
- Ensuring paddles are fully closed once they’ve passed through a lock.
- Aiming for minimal contact when navigating through locks by ensuring gates are fully open as they pass through. Pushing gates open using a boat can damage the gate lining, increasing its leakage.