THANKS to a generous £100,000 donation from the players of the People’s Postcode Lottery the Canal & River Trust is restoring a historic Grade II listed pumping station along the Grand Union Canal near Tring.
Tringford Pumping Station was built in 1817 by renowned canal engineer Thomas Telford and houses three water pumps which supply water to the Grand Union Canal.
The pumps push water from the reservoirs at Tring to the highest point on the canal and without them, the canal would run dry. The pumps, which are used nearly every day, move around 2,393 million litres of water per year– the equivalent amount of water as filling 798,000 Olympic sized swimming pools – and is the last remaining water feed into the canal until London.
A feature of the canals for nearly 200 years, the building is undergoing extensive restoration including repairs to damaged brickwork, roofing, gutters and windows, and improved facilities for volunteers and staff using the building.
Spencer Green, from the Canal & River Trust, said: “Tringford Pumping Station is home to the ‘beating heart’ of the Grand Union Canal. Without its pumps, located 40 foot below the surface and connected to the reservoirs by deep wells and underground tunnels, the canal would run dry.
“The work we’re doing will ensure this wonderful building survives and works for many more years to come.”
A public open day where members of the public can go inside the building, have a guided tour of the pumps and learn about how they keep the canal topped up with water is planned in March.
For more information about the work of the Canal & River Trust visit www.canalrivertrust.org.uk